Do you struggle with describing your fashion style? If you answered no, then good for you. Keep rocking your style! If you answered yes, you are not alone. I have struggled with this for years despite my deep love for all things fashion. Read on for a simple, yet effective way to confidently developing your personal fashion style!
Keep a fashion journal:
- Make notes of the occasions when people said you looked good. What were you wearing? How did you feel when you were wearing those clothes, shoes and accessories?
- When you see someone wearing an outfit you really admire, or you see someone wearing something that sets them apart, make detailed notes in your journal.
- Browse fashion magazines, visit art galleries and/or art museum fashion exhibits, or browse through fashion websites. What clothes, accessories and shoes are you drawn to? What stands out to you? Jot all these details down in your journal.
- Do some window shopping. What trends do you see in fashion? What windows are you drawn to and why? When you find yourself drawn to a window, go in! Try some things on. What flatters you or gets you excited? Pull out your journal and make notes of these details.
- Research fashion icons. Which ones spark your interest and why? Pay attention to details such as accessories, shoes, dress and skirt length, textures, fabrics, color palette and overall impression.
Once you completed these steps, review your notes. Highlight the characteristics such as style, color, accessories, and shoes. Identify the patterns and “voila”! Your own fashion style has now been identified!